Sunday, October 29, 2006

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

My usual Sunday activities generally include studying, working out, and watching TV. I love to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It's basically the most exciting part of the day. Well the point of this post is the episode that was on today. They went to Iowa to a family whose home burnt down. They lived on a farm, and lost everything. The family was basically living in a trailor for nine months. Pretty sad, right? No doubt in my mind that they deserved a home makeover. The part that bothered me was that before the fire the family had cattle on what I'm guessing was a dairy farm. For all you vegans out there, you know what my problem was right? The design team replaced their cattle, and everyone thought it was all well and good. Well, also before the fire the family had a pet dog. They also got a new dog. Everyone was all about how cute the dog was and how a dog was part of the family. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I just don't see the differentiation in how they would treat a dog, and how you would treat cattle. Obviously they can't be treated exactly alike because they are so different, but one should at least give them each the same respect. I just can't understand how people can be so nice to dogs and other pets, and treat farm animals with so much cruelty. There really is no reason for it. Well, there's my rant for the day. I just hope someday that farm animals will have some liberation.

No comments: